A little history on our seaside town
North Rustico was founded circa 1790, around a small natural harbour along the Gulf of St. Lawrence coast. The region was home to a remnant Acadian population who fled British capture and deportation during the Seven Years War 1754-1763. English, Scottish and Irish settlers moved into the area during the remainder of the 18th century and throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. The name Rustico comes from René Rassicot, a French pioneer who was one of the first settlers in North Rustico.
North Rustico became an incorporated municipality in 1954 and obtained town status in November, 2013. North Rustico is home to approximately 600 year round residents. It is also a summer home to approximately 500 additional residents. North Rustico’s primary industries include fishing, tourism and agriculture.
The fishing industry remains the town’s most important economic activity, with approximately 40 vessels home ported in a small craft harbour. Lobster fishing is the main focus for much of the fleet during May and June. From July to September, some boats offer deep sea fishing excursions while others fish for various types of fish such as mackerel, cod, herring, halibut and tuna.
North Rustico is one of the Island’s most popular destinations. The town has direct access to the Prince Edward Island National Park and also has a free, public beach. During a warm summer evening, dozens of people come out to enjoy the view while strolling on the town’s waterfront boardwalk, which overlooks the bay and fishing docks.
The town is known to locals, as well as all other Islanders, as “The Crick”.
Click here for your printable copy of the “Welcome to the Town of North Rustico” publication!
For more history on our town, click the link below to our “North Rustico – Preserving the Past for the Present” FaceBook Page.