COMMUNITY OF NORTH RUSTICO EMERGENCY MEASURES PLAN
Emergency Operation Components
Executive Group – Mayor and Council
E.D.C Manager – Gary Gallant | 902-963-2718/902-393-9261
Incident Manager – Wallie Dingwell
Recorder/Clerical/Maintenance – Town Administrator | 902-963-3211
Fire/Police/EMS – Patsy Doucette & Kevin Keizer
Transportation & Public Works – Lenny Blacquiere & Allan Nisbet
Health & Social Services – Joan Gallant | 902-963-2377, Janine Doucette
Telecommunications & Public Info – Wallie Dingwell
Human Resources – Paula Gallant & Heather McKenna
Approved and adopted by Council resolution on
Date: February 26, 2008
Administrator: Eric Ellsworth
Chair of: David Blacquiere
Date of Approval: February 26, 2008
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Record of Amendments
Review and Amendment
Direction and Control
Requests for Assistance
Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator Responsibilities
Annex A – Community Emergency Numbers 8
Annex B – Community Contact Numbers 9
Annex C – Proclamation – State of Emergency 10
Annex D – Health & Social Services Resources 11
Annex D – Transportation Resources 13
Annex D – Public Works Resources 14
Annex D – Public Service Resources 15
Annex E – Municipal By-Law
RECORD OF AMENDMENTS
1. Community of North Rustico
2. P.E.I. Emergency Measures Organization
3. Joint Emergency Operation Centre
4. North Rustico Fire Department
5. Local Provincial M.L.A.
6. R.C.M.P. @ 153 Maypoint Rd. Cornwall
1. This document is considered to be an Emergency Measures Plan for those smaller communities which are not designated as a City or Town. This document has been developed to put in place a plan of action for these municipalities in the initial stages of an emergency situation.
Responsibility for the management of municipal emergency operations rests with the local authority (Chair and Council). The local authority may be advised and assisted by representatives of provincial departments and agencies in order to provide a coordinated municipal/provincial response.
Should municipal resources be insufficient to deal with the emergency, assistance may be requested from other Mutual Aid areas or the Provincial Government through the PEI Emergency Measures Organization.
2. There are certain fundamental principles concerning emergency planning in Canada which are recognized, some of these principles are as follows:
- that responsibilities for meeting most emergencies normally rests with those directly affected, but where the capacity to do so is inadequate and government action is required, the sequence of responsibility would normally start with the local government, move to the provincial government and finally to the federal government if necessary;
- that operational responsibility for managing emergencies should remain at the lowest level at which it is possible to effectively manage the emergency situations; and
- that responsibility to respond to emergencies carries a parallel responsibility to plan and prepare for them.
By extension of these principles it is logical that municipal governments should cooperate and provide emergency assistance to one another in emergency situations, before calling on the province for assistance.
5. In this guide:
- Emergency means a present or imminent event in respect of which the Minister or the municipality believes prompt coordination of action or special regulation of persons or property must be undertaken to protect the health, safety or welfare of people or to limit damage to property.
- Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator is the individual designated by Council to develop an emergency management program for the municipality of North Rustico. This position receives a direction from and reports to the Chairperson and Council.
- PEI Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) means the PEI Emergency Measures Organization established under the section 3 of the Emergency Measures Act which has been mandated to provide the Province with an emergency management system for the protection of persons, property and the environment in response to all emergencies and disasters.
8. This guide will be reviewed annually by the Municipal /emergency Measures Coordinator who will be responsible for the preparation of amendments, as required, and their submission to EMO for review.
DIRECTION AND CONTROL
9. The Chairperson and Council – Responsibility for the management of municipal emergency operations rests with the local authority. They are responsible to exercise control over emergency operations. They have the decision making authority in the event of an emergency involving their municipality.
The Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator (MEMC) is responsible for coordinating the efficient emergency response operations in the community on behalf of the Chair and Council. He/she acts as liaison between municipal council, the emergency site and the Emergency Measures Organization.
The Emergency Site Manager the emergency site will be under the direct control of the senior police officer present, senior fire chief or as duly appointed.
The Emergency Measures Organization – The local authority may be advised and assisted by representatives of provincial departments and agencies in order to provide a coordinated municipal/provincial response. Should municipal resources be insufficient to deal with the emergency, assistance may be requested from the Provincial Government through the PEI Emergency measures Organization is responsible for coordinating the interface with the municipalities, The provincial government provides assistance when requested. When the emergency clearly impacts on areas of provincial jurisdiction (e.g. any emergency not in a municipality, emergencies on provincial lands) or in a provincially declared emergency the province may assume responsibility for direction and coordination of the emergency.
Municipal Office – There will be a requirement for a meeting place for municipal officials and decision makers in a potential emergency situation. Meetings will take place in the Municipal Office. If this is not feasible then officials will meet at North Rustico Legion Home Branch Number 13 or the North Rustico Lions Club.
REQUESTS FOR ASSISTANCE
10. Requests for provincial assistance will be made to the PEI Emergency Measures Organization, and should be approved by an elected representative of the municipal authority. Requests may be verbal initially but must be confirmed in writing.
11. Municipal Responsibilities – the municipal council is responsible for managing the emergency. Responsibilities include:
- implementing local emergency plans and procedures, using any or all resources available to the municipality;
- implementing an initial fan-out of the Community Contact Numbers (Annex B)
- declaring a state of local emergency, if considered necessary (see Annex C)
- in consultation with emergency responders, requesting mutual aid assistance from other municipalities;
- in consultation with emergency responders, requesting assistance from the Provincial Government through the PEI Emergency Measures Organization if the situation cannot be controlled by local resources.
MUNICIPAL EMERGENCY MEASURES COORDINATOR (MEMC) RESPONSIBILITIES
12. The Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator’s (MEMC) primary responsibility is to prepare and maintain the Municipal Emergency Measures Program and to coordinate the efficient operation of the community in an emergency situation. The Coordinator receives direction from and reports to Chair and Council. The MEMC will coordinate resources used in the emergency. Responsibilities include:
Health and Social Services
The emergency situation may warrant several families being evacuated from their homes with no where to go. These families have to be provided with immediate lodging and feeding on a temporary basis. In the event that a declared provincial evacuation occurs, the Province will coordinate the evacuation process assisted by the municipality.
A list including facilities to be used as temporary evacuation centres and feeding establishments is maintained in Annex D.
Transportation arrangements may have to be made for families in and evacuation. A public information number should be listed for those evacuees requiring transportation. Pick-up points may have to be designated and disseminated to the public. This should be arranged with the police and fire personnel on site. A list of transportation resources within the community is maintained in Annex D.
A list of all public works resources (i.e. generators, portable lighting, heavy equipment, etc.) located in the area including contact names and phone numbers should be maintained to assist emergency responders. Determining where and how portable water may be obtained and distributed during and emergency is also required. A list of Public Works resources is maintained in Annex D.
Town Emergency Numbers
COMMUNITY OF NORTH RUSTICO CONTACT NUMBERS
Patsy Gamauf | 902-213-4180 • 902-963-3211
Mayor Anne Kirk | 902-963-3768
Deputy Mayor Heather McKenna | 902-963-2462
Kevin Keizer | 902-963-2523
Patsy Doucette | 902-963-2275
Jennifer Purvis | 902-620-4932
Janine Doucette | 902-940-5574
Nancy MacAdam | 902-963-3280
Municipal Emergency Measures:
Coordinator: Gary Gallant | 902-963-2718
Coordinator Sandy Brace | 902-963-3618
These individuals are available to be called upon to assist the Community Emergency Coordinator in an emergency situation.
Fire Chief Alison Larkin | 902-626-6803
Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Main | 902-394-1936
PROCLAIMATION STATE OF EMERGENCY
(Refer to Emergency Measures Act)
(Describe cause, i.e. Fire, Accident)
Resulting in ___________________________________________________
(Describe the type of danger, fire, explosion)
(Name and position of authority)
do herein declare that a state of local emergency exists as of _____________
Within the area bordered by ______________________________________
This proclamation is in effect until further notice.
HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES RESOURCES
RESOURCE CONTACT BUSINESS AFTER HRS.
COMMUNITY BYLAW #11
A By-Law to establish and maintain a Municipal Emergency Measures Organization for the Municipality of North Rustico and to authorize the Municipality of North Rustico to participate to the full extent of its capabilities in the Municipal Emergency Measures Plan.
Whereas Chapter 11 of the Emergency Measures Act 1990 provides that municipalities may establish a Municipal Emergency Measures Plan, and indicates the actions which may be taken by municipalities to further emergency planning;
AND WHEREAS it is deemed expedient to establish a Municipal Emergency Measures Plan to serve the Municipality of North Rustico.
THEREFORE the Council of the Municipality of North Rustico enacts as follows:
1. A Municipal Emergency Measures Plan is hereby established, hereinafter referred to as the Municipality of North Rustico Municipal Emergency Measures Plan.
2. The purpose and objective of the Municipality of North Rustico Municipal Emergency Measures with the cooperation of the Provincial Emergency Measures Organization, are as follows:
a. to plan for the emergency operation of municipal government;
b. to establish plans for the cooperation and mutual assistance between municipal governments in the event of a disaster or emergency;
c. to prepare plans for public survival;
d. to coordinate the emergency plans of the municipal departments and services having immediate responsibilities in the event of a disaster or emergency;
e. to cooperate with authorities of the municipality, neighbouring municipalities and provincial authorities who have been assigned comparable duties;
f. to conduct emergency measures courses for the training of personnel;
g. to conduct a public self-help education program related to emergencies; and
h. to carry out other similar work within the geographical area encompassed by the municipality.
3. The Municipality of North Rustico Municipal Emergency Measures Organization may consist of:
a. Members of Council
b. The Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator
4. The Chair and Council will select an individual from within the Community to be appointed as the Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator (MEMC). This individual will receive direction from and report to the Chair and Council.
5. The Municipal Emergency Measures Organization shall have the following powers and responsibilities:
a. to establish policy for the Municipality of North Rustico Municipal Emergency Measures, subject to approval of the Council;
b. subject to the approval of the Council to name or assign such persons, as it may deem advisable, to perform duties related to continuity of Municipal government and public survival in the case of an emergency or disaster.
6. The Municipal Emergency Measures Coordinator shall be responsible for:
a. developing and implementing the Municipal Emergency Measures Plan;
b. coordinating or integrating plans for the continued functioning of Community services which would be required in the event of an emergency; and
c. when policy decisions are required, submit the matter to the Chair and Council in the form of recommendations.
d. The performance of other related duties as directed by the Chair and Council.
7. The local authority, when satisfied that an emergency exists or may exist in that Municipality, declare a State of Local Emergency in respect of that Municipality. Where the council of a Municipality is unable to act promptly in declaring a state of local emergency in a Municipality pursuant to subsection (2) of the Emergency Measures Act, the mayor of chair of the Municipality may, after consulting a majority of the members of a Council of the Municipality where practicable, declare a state of local emergency in the Municipality.
I, Patsy Gamauf, Administrator of the Municipality of NORTH RUSTICO do hereby certify that the forgoing is true and correct copy of a By-Law, duly passed by Council, at a duly called and regularly constituted meeting held on the 26th day of February 2006.
Municipality of North Rustico Chairperson Anne Kirk
Municipality of North Rustico Administrator Patsy Gamauf
Municipality of North Rustico Fire Chief Jamie Masson
Municipality of North Rustico Deputy Fire Chief Johnny Gauthier